Sunday, March 31, 2013

Chair Planter


Before:


After:


Got a spare chair that you aren’t sure what to do with?  Turn it into a planter!  My mother-in-law had a chair with a broken rattan seat in her basement that she happily gave to me for this project.  And if you don’t already have an extra chair, pick one up at the thrift store or garage sale for a few bucks.

First, I painted my chair in a black satin with a Wagner paint sprayer.  Paint sprayers are well worth the investment if you don’t already have one.  This chair was painted in less than a few minutes, which would have otherwise taken me much longer and had been much more frustrating.  Next, I traced my flower pot on the seat of the chair.  Actually, my pot is a sand bucket I got at my $1 store, but it works just as well!  After, I used a simple box cutter to cut my hole in the rattan seat.  Now, if your chair has a regular, solid seat, this step will be a bit more demanding as you’d have to use a jigsaw to make your cut.  Finally, I dropped in my planter already containing some cheerful flowers.



My chair planter is positioned right next to my front door, but it would look great anywhere – on a deck, by the garage, in a garden, etc.  To be honest, this project was so easy, I think I may make another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment