Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Folding Screen Headboard




A headboard is really the focal point of the bedroom.  But when I first got married, I didn’t buy the matching headboard/footboard with our new bedroom set.  It was pricey and too bulky for our modest master.  So, we went without one for awhile.  Our bedroom looked so bare!  But I couldn’t find the right thing in our budget; also, it’s hard for me to make up my mind!  But, I finally found the perfect thing with a $30 folding screen purchased at a garage sale!  


Originally, the screen looked pretty beat.  I think it was powder blue, granted it was so faded it was hard to tell, and it had four panels.  The first thing my husband and I did was remove one panel as it was too big for our queen sized bed (but we kept it in case we ever upgrade to a king).  Also, we painted it black in a satin finish using a paint sprayer.  I highly suggest using a paint sprayer (I use a Wagner) for this project as it would be difficult to get in between the slats otherwise.  I finished it off with a personalized “Always Kiss Me Good Night” plaque (purchased through PersonalCreations.com for $30, plus shipping) hung through the slats using satin ribbon.  For extra security, my husband and I did decide to add two screws to each side.


I get tons of compliments on my headboard, and this project was very inexpensive and done from start to finish in no time!  So, if you have a bedroom in your home that needs some extra zip, give this project a shot!  Think about painting the folding screen an accent color that really pops.  Also, shutters would work just as well!  What creative head board have you come up with or want to recreate???  

No comments:

Post a Comment